Very often a complex therapy of respiratory diseases includes inhalation. This procedure is prescribed for both adults and children. In order to be effective, you need to know how to do inhalations which tools in what cases to use and what conditions to adhere to.
Inhalation seems like a simple procedure, but to do it better you need to consult the doctor and use those devices and ingredients that the doctor will recommend.
Despite the seeming unpretentiousness and harmless there are contraindications for inhalations, therefore, the question of how to do inhalation and whether to do them in each specific case, is extremely important.
Types and Purpose of Inhalation
When we hear the word “inhalation”, we often imagine a man bent over a steaming pot of with a towel on his head. And we’re close to the truth: steam inhalation – the most accessible and common at home, but it is not the only way to do the inhalation.
So, inhalations can be:
- Steam (the patient inhales the steam from a hot treatment solution through the nose and mouth, and you can use a funnel made from paper that is covering the container with a solution, or a towel on the head for maximum healing impact of pair);
- Oil (appointed against atrophy or increased dryness of the mucosa, the patient inhales warmed essential oils);
- With the use of special devices – nebulizers that provide a dispersed spray (there are ultrasonic nebulizers, compressors or combined and can be purchased at pharmacies).
Inhalations are helpful when you have one of the following diseases:
- Bronchial asthma;
- Rhinitis (common cold);
Inhalations are made with special medications, medicinal herbs, oils. Their purpose is to reach the following main effects on the body:
- Anti-edema effect;
- The bronchodilation;
- Dilution of the mucus in the respiratory tract (expectorant effect);
- Hydration of the mucous membranes;
- Increased vascularity of the mucous membrane (regenerating effect);
- Achieving the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect.
So the advantages of the inhalation procedure are the focused action and the minimal risk of side effects. If you do inhalations correctly, their usefulness is indisputable.
How to Do Inhalation
No matter what medicine, what disease and in which way of inhalation you choose, you should follow certain rules for this procedure.
- It is impossible to conduct the inhalation at a body temperature above 37.5 C.
- Before inhalation you need to rest, any physical stress has to end at least half an hour before the procedure.
- The procedure is performed after an hour or more after a meal, after inhalation, food intake is allowed after 30 minutes.
- The duration of inhalation should not be less than 5 minutes and not more than 10 minutes.
- During inhalation and within half an hour after it is not recommended to talk.
- In the treatment of the throat, pharynx, bronchi the medicinal vapor is inhaled through the mouth and exhaled through the nose, in the treatment of a running nose and a sinus the patient is breathing through the nose and exhales through the mouth.
- The breathing should be neither too deep nor superficial – it should be quiet and smooth.
- You should breathe over hot, but not boiling solution.
- If you are apt to allergies, then abandon any unknown ingredients – herbs, essential oils, it can be dangerous.
- In the ultrasonic and compression inhalers do not to use decoctions of herbs.
- Inhalers should be well disinfected after each use.
Contraindications for Inhalation
Before the inhalations, you need to find out if there are any contraindications for this procedure for a particular patient.
Absolutely do not use inhalations in the treatment of people with such health problems as:
- Nasal and pulmonary bleeding;
- Hypertension of the 3rd degree;
- Cardiovascular failure;
- Failure of the respiratory system.
If there are no absolute contraindications, you need to pay attention to the following states: the presence of an inflammatory process of a purulent nature (for example, sinusitis, tonsillitis). In this case the use of hot inhalations is prohibited to avoid escalating the growth of pathogenic flora. Breathing in the hot steam is allowed with a long time passing rhinitis, laryngitis without a purulent inflammation.
Inhalation is an effective method of the treatment of diseases of the respiratory system, but to achieve its true therapeutic effect, it is necessary to consult a doctor how to do inhalation correctly according to the disease you have.